Technical Architect (PHP/Laravel, Angular, Nodejs)
Researcher.Life is an integrated ecosystem of web and mobile products by Cactus Communications. Designed for researchers (academics, scientists, students) across the globe this suite of products aims to redefine how they read, publish, learn, and collaborate to further scientific advancements. Much of this innovation is fueled by our in-house solutions of manuscript assessment, automated English Editing, concept extraction, auto-summarization, image recognition all built on the foundations of AI, Machine Learning, NLP, and Deep Learning.
Over 19 years, under our flagship product Editage, we’ve worked with 1mn+ researchers globally. Researcher.Life is our latest suite of products built on this strong understanding of user needs and since its inception, we’ve already scaled up to 200,000+ registered users from more than 50+ countries. We’ve seen positive responses on the versatility of our offerings, gamification in the user experience and the time savings users have realized.
As an ecosystem of multiple products, we purposefully avoided creating siloed offerings that simply met a diverse set of needs. Much like how travel providers recommend airport transfer options, things to do and places to stay after booking your flight, the Researcher.Life experience also seeks to understand what the researcher needs next and personalizes what’s delivered and when. It’s only when this happens can we truly realize the outcomes for 1mn+ researchers we aim to serve in the coming year.
If you feel excited by this prospect of improving the lives of researchers who are shaping the future of science and are passionate towards solving real world problems using the power of tech innovations, this opportunity may be of interest to you!
The Technical Architect will be part of an agile development team, building and working on enterprise grade software systems on top of the (PHP Laravel - Angular - Nodejs) development stack. The architect will provide technical and team leadership through coaching and mentorship.
As an architect you will be responsible for building scalable, high-performant services which will cater to high traffic through the day. Moreover, in the process, you will also be making decisions on the tech stack, infrastructure setup, CI/CD pipeline, and so on.
Requirements (Desired skills & experience):
- Bachelor’s degree in any field, preferably with a computer science or engineering background
- 5+ years of relevant experience (at least 3 of them as an architect).
- Excellent knowledge of web development (PHP Laravel - Angular).
- Excellent knowledge of DB concepts, OOP (concepts, techniques, principles, analysis, and design), SOLID principles and design patterns.
- Should have excellent communication skills
- Have good Problem-solving skills and able to think analytically.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Time management skills
- Stay up to date on tech trends, attend relevant conferences or forums and obtain relevant certifications
- Identify, build, and lead projects independently: discover needs, find resources, create a plan, follow up implementation and report progress
- Ensuring that non-functional requirements such as security, performance, maintainability, scalability, usability, and reliability are being considered when architecting solutions
- Identify and assess new libraries, packages that can support, enhance, and improve our application as well end user experience
- Experience with Unit testing.
- Experience with multi-threading and concurrency.
- Experience with debugging, performance profiling and optimization.
- Experience with AWS services.
- Experience with CI/CD pipeline.ch trends, attend relevant conferences or forums and obtain relevant certifications
Team Related activities:
- Provide technical leadership to teammates through setting learning road maps per team and per developer, coaching, code revisioning and mentorship.
- Maintain high standards of software quality within the team by establishing best practices and habits.
- Collaborate with other software developers, business analysts and software architects to plan, design, develop, test, and maintain web- and mobile-based business applications.
- Design, develop, and unit test applications in accordance with established standards.
- Participate in peer-reviews of solution designs and related code.
- Controlling all stages of the development life cycle, including initial analysis, implementation, integration, testing, debugging, data validation, and support.
- Assist in the collection and documentation of user's requirements, development of user stories, estimates and work plans and Designing modules by dividing the user requirements into sub modules, assigning sub modules to software developers to proceed with programming the modules, and setting time frames for task completion.
- Develop, refine, and tune integrations between applications.
- Analyze and resolve technical and application problems.
Cactus Communications is a technology company accelerating scientific advancement. We collaborate with researchers, universities, publishers, academic societies, and life science organizations. We offer AI-powered scholarly publishing solutions for journals and researchers; editorial, translation, education, and training solutions for researchers; strategic and tactical scientific content solutions to global life science organizations; and solutions for science dissemination and engagement with peers, public, and policymakers for wider research outreach. We also incubate seed-stage and early-stage startups that share our mission to solve global problems with science and technology solutions. We have offices in London, Princeton, Singapore, Beijing, Shanghai, Tokyo, Seoul, Aarhus, and Mumbai; a global workforce of over 3,000 experts; and customers from over 190 countries.
Know about our Culture:
The CACTUS culture is the glue that binds us together as we work towards the same shared goal.
We are “One CACTUS”. You are a Cactizen regardless of where you work.
We take pride in our diversity, respect each other, and call out bias whenever we see it.
We focus on outcomes rather than formalities. Everyone is on first-name basis.
We are selective and hire only those who share our vision and values
CACTUS has always been driven by its culture. It sets us apart and attracts people who want to maximize their potential at work and in life. It describes our unique work practices in three aspects: People & Life, Performance & Career, and Business & Leadership.