Team Lead, Engineering
As a Team Lead, you will be the central point of contact on the team between the frontend, backend, product, marketing and any other stakeholders. You help decide how to get the product built, ensure great communication in the team, and serve as a mentor for younger members of the team. You will feed into product what is possible and sensible, and work in close co-operation with the Product Manager to find the right solutions for problems presented, and then implement these with the team.
Paperpal is a new type of writing assistant created by Cactus Communications. We are developing superpowers for academic researchers and are a highly distributed team working out of the EU and Asia. Paperpal helps you write, revise, and perfect academic text instantly. It is powered by machine learning and trained on millions of published articles.
Our product stack is SaaS, and work on quick iterations. The team is a mixture of 10+ year experienced developers, and newer hires. We work with a stack of Elasticsearch for document retrieval, Java for services and TypeScript/React on the frontend, on a microservice platform on AWS, serving state of the art services based on Machine Learning and AI, in an agile Kanban manner.
- Take ownership of the current microservice technology stack of Java on SpringBoot and
- Docker (soon to be Kubernetes) in an AWS environment. You will further develop this stack - or change it to suit our needs and your ideas going forward.
- Be the central point of contact for the team on all matters technical
- Mentor younger members of the team
- Ensure – or delegate – the weekly software releases go off without a hitch
- Build and release software through Jenkins, onto an AWS microservice architecture using Docker
- Understand the product and the user – build an intuition for what is right, to guide product with this intuition on top of your technical expertise
- Work with Product, Design, Frontend and other stakeholders to build the right thing, the right way
- Be part of a team growing to 20 developers over this year, and +10M$ revenue
- Be part of code reviews of your and other people's code --- and set the standard for the team!
- Be part of a very agile team where iteration is key, and where Kanban allows us to very quickly switch directions.
Requirements (Desires skills & experience)
- 5+ Years of experience with Java and SpringBoot is required.
- Experience in developing software products
- Critical thinking skills and are ability to reason about how things should work for a web application.
- You are motivated, curious and independent, with a desire to learn, and be a part of a growing company.
- Team management experience is a plus point but not mandatory.
Cactus Communications is a technology company accelerating scientific advancement. We collaborate with researchers, universities, publishers, academic societies, and life science organizations. We offer AI-powered scholarly publishing solutions for journals and researchers; editorial, translation, education, and training solutions for researchers; strategic and tactical scientific content solutions to global life science organizations; and solutions for science dissemination and engagement with peers, public, and policymakers for wider research outreach. We also incubate seed-stage and early-stage startups that share our mission to solve global problems with science and technology solutions. We have offices in London, Princeton, Singapore, Beijing, Shanghai, Tokyo, Seoul, Aarhus, and Mumbai; a global workforce of over 3,000 experts; and customers from over 190 countries.