Software Engineer (Java, React, Node)
We are looking for a passionate Software Engineer to design and develop web applications.
Ultimately, the role of the Software Engineer is to build high-quality, innovative and fully performing software that complies with coding standards and technical design.
· Devise innovative and scale-able solution to complex problems using design patterns, or other known algorithms/tools available.
· Improving system quality by identifying issues and common patterns, and developing standard operating procedures.
· Remain current on new technologies and available vendor packages; evaluate and make recommendations as necessary.
· Assist in task planning, estimation and scheduling.
· Work in close partnership with cross-functional teams and management.
· Takes responsibility for his/her deliverables, especially in relation to sensitive timings.
Requirements (Desired skills & experience:
· 3+ years of experience in writing human-readable, scalable, robust, and secure code with unit test cases with maximum coverage.
· Proficient in Java, React, Node.
· Working knowledge of basic algorithms and data-structures, design-patterns, Docker, GIT.
· Deep understanding of OOP concepts (encapsulation, inheritance, interfaces, polymorphism).
· Outstanding all-round communication skills and ability to work collaboratively.
Good to have:
· Experience in building microservices
· Experience in Code refactoring
· Experience in Xtreme Programming
· Knowledge of Angular
· Experience in working with a large codebase, CI/CD pipeline
· Hands on experience with Laravel and PostgreSQL
· Knowledge of Agile development (Scrum)
· Quality first: You value quality code! If you find yourself writing things twice you automatically refactor them. You find code reviews valuable instead of annoying.
· Independent: Since we are 100% remote this means that you need to be able to reach your goals independently. You need to be self-aware and self-managed.
· Problem-solving attitude: Problems are opportunities! You see problems as challenging and have the urge to solve them. There is no problem in the world you cannot solve
· Proactive attitude: It's not easy to work remotely. If you are having issues we expect you to be proactive about it.
· Self-improvement: You want to grow your skills and grow as a person. You seek ways to do things more efficiently.
· Passion: Coding is your passion, not just a job. You just love to write good code.
Paperpal is developing superpowers for academic researchers. We are a highly distributed team working out of the EU and Asia. We believe that brilliant product design and advanced machine learning can help researchers find, write, and publish better science faster. Paperpal is backed by Cactus Communications, the leading provider of professional services to academic authors, with a global workforce of over 3,000 experts and customers in over 190 countries.
Cactus Communications is a technology company accelerating scientific advancement. We collaborate with researchers, universities, publishers, academic societies, and life science organizations. We offer AI- powered scholarly publishing solutions for journals and researchers; editorial, translation, education, and training solutions for researchers; strategic and tactical scientific content solutions to global life science organizations; and solutions for science dissemination and engagement with peers, public, and policymakers for wider research outreach. We also incubate seed-stage and early-stage startups that share our mission to solve global problems with science and technology solutions. We have offices in London, Princeton, Singapore, Beijing, Shanghai, Tokyo, Seoul, Aarhus, and Mumbai; a global workforce of over 3,000 experts; and customers from over 190 countries.
Know about our Culture:
The CACTUS culture is the glue that binds us together as we work towards the same shared goal. We are “One CACTUS”. You are a Cactizen regardless of where you work. We take pride in our diversity, respect each other, and call out bias whenever we see it. We focus on outcomes rather than formalities. Everyone is on first-name basis. We are selective and hire only those who share our vision and values CACTUS has always been driven by its culture. It sets us apart and attracts people who want to maximize their potential at work and in life. It describes our unique work practices in three aspects: People & Life, Performance & Career, and Business & Leadership.