Managing Editor, Impact Science
As a Managing Editor for Impact Science, you will manage a team of science communicators and writers who will work to produce high-quality content for high-value clients such as journal editorial offices, universities, research groups (clients, hereafter), and commercial and not for-profit organizations in the global research landscape.
WHAT WILL YOU DO:
► People and freelancer management:
- Managing a team of in-house and remote writers/reviewers.
- Managing a freelancer pool: capacity, feedback, queries.
- Building capacity in response to business need.
- Understanding client requirements from the Client Accounts team and designing workflows and solutions in response to them.
► Process management:
- Working closely with the Operations Manager to set up and periodically evaluate processes that are scalable, sustainable, and TAT-optimized.
- Communicating effectively for signoff on outputs to relevant stakeholders.
- Skill and Quality Management.
- Passing on feedback for design of one-time and ongoing skill building and training programs for a team of in-house writers/reviewers and freelancers.
- Being responsible for overall content quality.
► Content management:
- Reviewing content pieces (video scripts/summaries/press notes) to deem them client ready.
- Reviewing outputs at different stages of production leading up to delivery (storyboards, wireframes, concepts).
- Working closely with cross-functional resources in the studio (graphic designers, animators, narrators, developers) to ensure content vision is well articulated.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Master's degree in science, or equivalent degree in management, with the relevant experience in science communication.
- At least one year's experience in people management.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and its suite of products, in addition to having some exposure to video editing and production software.
- Hands-on experience with working in operations.
- Basic understanding of academic publishing industry.
- Basic understanding of design and layout.
- Ability to think on the feet and learn on the go.
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude.
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion within parameters of instructions given, prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices.