Lead Product Designer
The product team at Researcher.Life is looking for a driven product design lead to participate in building the future of academia. If you have a passion for learning about users and designing solutions that solve their needs, we'd like to hear from you. Our ideal candidate will be a strong Creative Lead who can take lots of information, or several problems to solve, and distill it down into the most clear and concise path forward.
Reporting to the Principal Product Designer, you will identify user needs and implement pixel perfect, end-to-end product solutions for academia professionals that help solve problems at each step of their research journey. This is a key experience to help Researcher.Life achieve its growth aspirations.
Our ideal candidate has a passion for design and shares our values for simplicity, speed, and craftsmanship.
Hands On, End-to-End Product Solutions
- Create low/high-fi frameworks which articulate journeys and elements required to solve 'the problem'.
- Strategize and implement phased design solutions that bridge the gap between a future state and current patterns, UI design system and other relevant constraints and considerations. Facilitate prototypes which demonstrate a proposed solution.
- Create design solutions that are pixel perfect and are handover ready for the developer teams.
- Ensure best industry practices are taken care of to make the implementation development friendly.
You need to think in systems and have an eye for design, usability, and the big picture. You will need to break down a design experience into its components, fit them together into an overall system structure, and make the whole thing work.
Mentorship + Managing
Mentor a small team, provide guidance on the output, facilitate collaboration and improve the design process. You will need to keep up with industry trends and new tools to constantly grow your team, processes, and the culture.
What you should bring:
You’re passionate about user experience and obsessed with fine-tuning interactions to help people accomplish their goals. You’ve shipped consumer products and understand what it takes to create engaging and consumer-oriented experiences. You have a talent for describing design problems to other designers, developers, content strategists, and business leaders. You set high standards for design systems and are determined to improve your work constantly by feedback from peers and users. Good knowledge of material design and grid systems is important.
Requirements (Desires skills & experience)
- 6+ years of experience in UX and design skills that are applied to a growing B2C, B2B, B2B2C, SaaS/PaaS product.
- Knowledge and experience of developing, scaling, and implementing a responsive design system across features and products of the ecosystem.
- Think through and solve for complex problems
- Ability to collaborate and drive discussions in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Clear, effective communication skills to articulate and present your findings and design decisions.
- Startup experience or mentality is a plus. Ability to jump in where needed and expand the role.
- Prior experience in product-led growth teams is beneficial.
- Familiarity or experience in tools we use such as Figma, Hotjar, Google Analytics, and online collaborative whiteboard tools such as Miro.
Researcher.Life is an integrated ecosystem of web and mobile products by Cactus Communications. Designed for researchers (academics, scientists, students) across the globe. This suite of products aims to redefine how they read, publish, learn, and collaborate to further scientific advancements. Much of this innovation is fueled by our in-house solutions of manuscript assessment, automated English Editing, concept extraction, auto-summarization, image recognition all built on the foundations of AI, Machine Learning, NLP, and Deep Learning.
Over 19 years, under our flagship product Editage, we’ve worked with 1mn+ researchers globally. Researcher.Life is our latest suite of products built on this strong understanding of user needs and since its inception, we’ve already scaled up to 200,000+ registered users from more than 50+ countries. We’ve seen positive responses on the versatility of our offerings, gamification in the user experience and the time savings users have realized.
As an ecosystem of multiple products, we purposefully avoided creating siloed offerings that simply met a diverse set of needs. Much like how travel providers recommend airport transfer options, things to do and places to stay after booking your flight, the Researcher.Life experience also seeks to understand what the researcher needs next and personalizes what’s delivered and when. It’s only when this happens can we truly realize the outcomes for 1mn+ researchers we aim to serve in the coming year.
If you feel excited by this prospect of improving the lives of researchers who are shaping the future of science and are passionate towards solving real world problems using the power of tech innovations, this opportunity may be of interest to you!
Learn about Our Culture:
CACTUS is a culture-driven company powered by its people, their passion, and their inspiration. All Cactizens live by the culture and values that define us. We value people for their talent, personality, competency, and the ability to learn and grow. We create a work environment that allows people to thrive and show their best performance. We believe in meritocracy.
We take pride in our diversity. We strive to embrace diverse voices and create an inclusive workplace.
We encourage all Cactizens to talk openly about their ideas and opinions and provide feedback to anyone who is a part of CACTUS, regardless of designation, experience, or seniority. We also encourage them to place their trust and be open to differences in opinions and feedback.