CACTUS is seeking freelance editors, including copyeditors and substantive editors, in the fields of medicine, the life sciences, the physical sciences & engineering.
Our editorial services cater to authors across the globe, many of whom are researchers whose first language is not English.
As a contract or freelance editor, you will edit manuscripts in your area of expertise to bring them up to the standards of international peer-reviewed journals.
- Edit STEM papers such that the final text is in standard scientific English
- Ensure that the edited material is free of unclear or unidiomatic sentences
- Use comments to query authors about important edits in order to ensure that the intended meaning is preserved
- Adhere to job-specific instructions and format manuscripts according to the target academic journal if required
- Ensure that subject-specific conventions are followed in each editing job
Qualifications and prerequisites
Freelance editors should have
- A PhD/Master’s degree in one or more specialized subject areas in the physical sciences, engineering, materials science, healthcare, life sciences, medicine and surgery
- Native-level proficiency in English
- Excellent attention to detail
- Prior experience in freelance editing or in an academic editing job (preferred but not mandatory)
- Computer literacy and a reliable internet connection
Benefits of this role
As a contract or freelance editor, you will get
- Flexibility to decide when you work
- A predicable volume of work each month (Editors are expected to commit to a minimum of 60,000 words per month; there is no upper limit)
- An understanding of the finer points of editing
- An inside view into research carried out worldwide
In addition, you can work from home.
Note: There is no mandatory time commitment. However, editors typically tend to devote six to eight hours a day.
Detailed subject-area list
Physical sciences: Engineering (all disciplines), Robotics, Automobile Engineering, Controls and Systems, Electronics, Electrical Engineering, Wireless Communication, Environmental Science, Energy, Indoor Air Quality, Nuclear Physics, Analytical Chemistry, Physical/ Computational Chemistry, General Chemistry, Applied Chemistry, Electrochemistry, Nanochemistry, Materials Science, Metallurgy, Alloys, Nanomaterials, Ceramics/Glass, Materials Engineering, Engineering Geology, Ceramics, Glass, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, Optics, Mineralogy, Remote Sensing, Climate Science, Stratigraphy, Sedimentology, Paleontology, Geodesy, and Earth Sciences.
Healthcare: Cardiology, Orthopedics, Sports Medicine, Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Obstetrics, Gynecology, Physical Medicine, Rehabilitation, Chemotherapy, Plastic Surgery, Epidemiology, Infectious Diseases, Public Health, Diabetes Research, and Radiotherapy Planning.
Life sciences: Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Structural Biology, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Evolutionary Biology, Developmental Biology, Microbiology, Immunology, Biomaterials, Biophysics, Biostatistics, Systems Biology, Physiology, Nanobiotechnology, Genetics, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Toxicology, Drug Design & Development, Plant & Animal Genetics, Plant and Animal Biotechnology, Ecology, Taxonomy, Botany, Zoology, Neurosurgery, and Computational Neuroscience.
Medicine: Anatomy, Endocrinology, Clinical Oncology, Anesthesiology, Hematology, Urology, Pathology, Dentistry, Radiology, Respiratory Care, Surgery, Medicine, Complementary and Alternative Medicine, and Ophthalmology.
CACTUS is a science communication and technology company. We specialize in AI products and solutions that improve how research gets funded, published, communicated, and discovered. Learn more: https://cactusglobal.com/
Awards and recognition
- Cactus Communications has consistently ranked among the top 20 on the global list of the Top 100 Companies for Telecommute Jobs since 2016.
- Cactus Communications is Great Place to Work-Certified™ (2022). This means that the majority of our employees say we are a great place to work!
- Cactus Communications has been named one of Quartz's Best Companies for Remote Workers 2022.
- Recognised as one of India’s Best Workplaces in Health and Wellness (2021) by Great Place to Work
- Recognised as one of the ‘Best Companies to Work for in Asia 2021’ by HR Asia
- Featured among Asia’s 100 Most Admired Brands (2020)