We’re currently looking for specialist freelance copyeditors and substantive editors.
Why this is a great opportunity for those searching for freelance editing jobs
- Flexibility to determine your work hours
- Work from anywhere
What you will do
- Edit STEM papers such that the final text is in standard scientific English and is free of unclear or unidiomatic sentences
- Adhere to job-specific instructions and format manuscripts according to the target academic journal when required
- Ensure that all subject-specific conventions are followed
What you need
- A PhD/Master’s/Bachelor’s degree or expertise in one or more specialized subject areas in physical sciences, engineering, materials sciences, healthcare, life sciences, medicine and surgery
- Excellent English editing skill and attention to detail (prior editing experience would be great)
- Prior freelance editing experience is welcome but not mandatory
Note: There is no mandatory time commitment. However, editors typically tend to devote six to eight hours a day.
Detailed subject-area list:
Physical sciences: Engineering (all disciplines), Robotics, Automobile Engineering, Controls and Systems, Electronics, Electrical Engineering, Wireless Communication, Environmental Science, Energy, Indoor Air Quality, Nuclear Physics, Analytical Chemistry, Physical/ Computational Chemistry, General Chemistry, Applied Chemistry, Electrochemistry, Nanochemistry, Materials Science, Metallurgy, Alloys, Nanomaterials, Ceramics/Glass, Materials Engineering, Engineering Geology, Ceramics, Glass, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, Optics, Mineralogy, Remote Sensing, Climate Science, Stratigraphy, Sedimentology, Paleontology, Geodesy, and Earth Sciences.
Healthcare: Cardiology, Orthopedics, Sports Medicine, Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Obstetrics, Gynecology, Physical Medicine, Rehabilitation, Chemotherapy, Plastic Surgery, Epidemiology, Infectious Diseases, Public Health, Diabetes Research, and Radiotherapy Planning.
Life sciences: Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Structural Biology, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Evolutionary Biology, Developmental Biology, Microbiology, Immunology, Biomaterials, Biophysics, Biostatistics, Systems Biology, Physiology, Nanobiotechnology, Genetics, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Toxicology, Drug Design & Development, Plant & Animal Genetics, Plant and Animal Biotechnology, Ecology, Taxonomy, Botany, Zoology, Neurosurgery, and Computational Neuroscience.
Medicine: Anatomy, Endocrinology, Dentistry, Radiology, Surgery, Medicine, and Ophthalmology.
Founded in 2002, Cactus Communications (cactusglobal.com) is a technology company accelerating scientific advancement. CACTUS solves problems for researchers, universities, publishers, academic societies, and life science organizations through innovative products and services developed under the brands Editage, Cactus Life Sciences, Researcher.Life, Impact Science, UNSILO, Paperpal, and Cactus Labs. CACTUS has offices in Princeton, London, Aarhus, Singapore, Beijing, Shanghai, Seoul, Tokyo, and Mumbai; a global workforce of over 3,000 experts; and customers from over 190 countries. CACTUS is considered a pioneer in its workplace best practices, and has been consistently ranked a great place to work over the last several years.
Awards and Recognition:
- Cactus Communications has consistently ranked among the top 20 on the global list of the Top 100 Companies for Telecommute Jobs (Forbes.com) since 2016.
- Recognized as one of the Best Companies for Millennials by Times Ascent and Learning & Organisation Development Roundtable (2019).
- Emerged as one of the top 10 companies determined as a safe workplace for women in India in a survey conducted by Rainmaker (2019).
- Ranked #1 among India’s Great Mid-Size Workplaces by Great Place to Work® Institute (2017).