Freelance Editors/Copy Editors
CACTUS is seeking freelance editors, including copyeditors and substantive editors, in the fields of medicine, the life sciences, the physical sciences & engineering.
Our editorial services cater to authors across the globe, many of whom are researchers whose first language is not English.
As a contract or freelance editor, you will edit manuscripts in your area of expertise to bring them up to the standards of international peer-reviewed journals.
- Edit STEM papers such that the final text is in standard scientific English
- Ensure that the edited material is free of unclear or unidiomatic sentences
- Use comments to query authors about important edits in order to ensure that the intended meaning is preserved
- Adhere to job-specific instructions and format manuscripts according to the target academic journal if required
- Ensure that subject-specific conventions are followed in each editing job
Qualifications and prerequisites
Freelance editors should have
- A PhD/Master’s/Bachelor’s degree in one or more specialized subject areas in the physical sciences, engineering, materials science, healthcare, life sciences, medicine and surgery
- Native-level proficiency in English
- Excellent attention to detail
- Prior experience in freelance editing or in an academic editing job (preferred but not mandatory)
- Computer literacy and a reliable internet connection
What are the benefits of freelancing for CACTUS?
As a contract or freelance editor, you will get
- Flexibility to decide when you work
- A predicable volume of work each month (Editors are expected to commit to a minimum of 60,000 words per month; there is no upper limit)
- An understanding of the finer points of editing
- An inside view into research carried out worldwide
In addition, you can work from home or anywhere in the world.
Note: There is no mandatory time commitment. However, editors typically tend to devote six to eight hours a day.
Detailed subject-area list:
Physical sciences: Engineering (all disciplines), Robotics, Automobile Engineering, Controls and Systems, Electronics, Electrical Engineering, Wireless Communication, Environmental Science, Energy, Indoor Air Quality, Nuclear Physics, Analytical Chemistry, Physical/ Computational Chemistry, General Chemistry, Applied Chemistry, Electrochemistry, Nanochemistry, Materials Science, Metallurgy, Alloys, Nanomaterials, Ceramics/Glass, Materials Engineering, Engineering Geology, Ceramics, Glass, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, Optics, Mineralogy, Remote Sensing, Climate Science, Stratigraphy, Sedimentology, Paleontology, Geodesy, and Earth Sciences.
Healthcare: Cardiology, Orthopedics, Sports Medicine, Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Obstetrics, Gynecology, Physical Medicine, Rehabilitation, Chemotherapy, Plastic Surgery, Epidemiology, Infectious Diseases, Public Health, Diabetes Research, and Radiotherapy Planning.
Life sciences: Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Structural Biology, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Evolutionary Biology, Developmental Biology, Microbiology, Immunology, Biomaterials, Biophysics, Biostatistics, Systems Biology, Physiology, Nanobiotechnology, Genetics, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Toxicology, Drug Design & Development, Plant & Animal Genetics, Plant and Animal Biotechnology, Ecology, Taxonomy, Botany, Zoology, Neurosurgery, and Computational Neuroscience.
Medicine: Anatomy, Endocrinology, Clinical Oncology, Anesthesiology, Hematology, Urology, Pathology, Dentistry, Radiology, Respiratory Care, Surgery, Medicine, Complementary and Alternative Medicine, and Ophthalmology.
Founded in 2002, Cactus Communications (cactusglobal.com) is a technology company accelerating scientific advancement. CACTUS solves problems for researchers, universities, publishers, academic societies, and life science organizations through innovative products and services developed under the brands Editage, Cactus Life Sciences, Researcher.Life, Impact Science, UNSILO, Paperpal, and Cactus Labs. CACTUS has offices in Princeton, London, Aarhus, Singapore, Beijing, Shanghai, Seoul, Tokyo, and Mumbai; a global workforce of over 3,000 experts; and customers from over 190 countries. CACTUS is considered a pioneer in its workplace best practices, and has been consistently ranked a great place to work over the last several years.
Awards and Recognition:
- Consistently ranked among the top 20 on the global list of the Top 100 Companies for Telecommute Jobs (Forbes.com) since 2016
- Recognized as one of the Best Companies for Millennials by Times Ascent and Learning & Organisation Development Roundtable (2019)
- Emerged as one of the top 10 companies determined as a safe workplace for women in India in a survey conducted by Rainmaker (2019)
- Ranked #1 among India’s Great Mid-Size Workplaces by Great Place to Work® Institute (2017)