Associate Director Engineering
About the team
Paperpal, backed by Cactus Communications is developing superpowers for academic researchers. We are a highly distributed team working out of the EU and Asia. Paperpal helps you write, revise, and perfect academic text instantly. It is powered by machine learning and trained on millions of published articles.
We are looking for an experienced Associate Director of Engineering to manage a diverse development team. The responsibilities of an Associate Director of engineering includes leading a team of architects and engineers, collaborating with product managers, and business leaders and improving product experience for customers.
You should be an excellent communicator who is able to translate complex Technical-business requirements into executable Technical solutions. We’d also like you to have hands-on experience on software development and be able to manage challenging programs.
- Understand product needs to define software specifications
- Plan and design the structure of a tech solution
- Developing standards and procedures to ensure that quality standards are met and consistent.
- Monitor systems to ensure they are build for scale & meet product goals
- Break business requirements to tech teams
- Leading the team through management and mentorship.
- Oversee software processes (e.g. conduct Architectural review) and provide guidance to team members
- Improve/Automate processes in software development cycle
- Evaluate and select appropriate Technology stack and integration methods
- Assist with solving technical problems when they arise
- Address technical concerns, ideas and suggestions
Requirements (Desired skills & experience)
- 5+ Years of Previous working experience in software design and developing customer-orientated platforms.
- Must have exceptional debugging skills
- Must be language agnostic and quick learner + implementer
- Hands-on experience with software development, software architecture and design patterns
- If you have an experience of moving Monolith to Microservice architecture and service-oriented architecture (SOA)
- Familiarity with NoSQL/SQL databases (preferably postgresql)
- Experience in cloud technologies (preferably AWS)
- Excellent communication skills and a problem-solving aptitude
- Organizational and leadership skills
- Graduate degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field.